Tips For Your Wedding, From The Caterer!
5 Top Tips for when planning your catering:
- Booking time – Most reputable wedding caterers in Belfast and beyond get booked up in advance. Think about timelines for the rest of your wedding, photographer, venue, DRESS!!! Catering is up there with them. We would hope to engage around 8-12 months prior to your big day. Sometimes this is not possible and we have been known to help brides and grooms by taking on short notice dates. We were privileged when we were recently able to step in as unforeseen circumstances seen their caterer have no choice but to let down a couple a few weeks prior. The stunning spread was laid on in their chosen Golf Club and all enjoyed.
- Numbers of Guests – When planning your big day think about your numbers. How many guests are there going to be at the “main meal” don’t forget about your photographer and ceremonial official. Though not mandatory many couples do feed them. A lot of photographers and vendors we work with are happy enough with a small plate served away from the main eating area, remember its your day so its your choice! Either way let your vendors know if you will provide food for them so they can plan alternatives. Also let us know so we can plan when and where to get them their food. Evening Food – plan how many people you think will be at the reception in the evening. How many are likely to eat? Our experience tells us that a Buffet booked for 100 will normally only see 40-50 people eat and often winds up with lots of wastage. However a Food Truck at the end of the night will normally be availed off by all guests.
- Dietary Requirements – This is an incredibly important part of your planning. We will ask for all dietary/allergen requirements a few weeks prior to your Wedding day. This is to allow us to plan any adjustments or alternative dishes. The list must be fully comprehensive as it is what we will stand by should someone have an allergic reaction. Also knowing whether someone is Vegan or Vegetarian makes a huge difference to that individual. We are happy to cater for all requirements we just need to know what it is we need to cater for.
- Budget – We will often ask our Couples if they have a budget in mind. This is so that we can send menus over that reflect that budget or help expectation manage the catering for your day. Some couples will break their budget into various parts of the day (bridal breakfast, canapé after reception, main meal, evening food) We can take this overall budget and plan your full days catering with you. We work on a 90 day rule currently where our quoted price stands for 90 days (Due to the massive fluctuation in wholesale food prices) We will also contact our couples 90 days prior and lock the price in. So far we have not had to raise any prices. When booking we require a 20% +VAT deposit. The remainder is paid in full 6weeks prior to your big day.
- Communication – We want you to communicate with us! Don’t stress and panic and run over things in your head adding worries to your special day. Pick up the phone, send a message or an email. We don’t care if its 2am and you’ve suddenly remembered that uncle Johnny has a nut allergy. LET US KNOW! Any questions you have any changes to dishes any concerns or worries ask us. Its what we are here for! We want to take away any worries or concerns around the catering on your wedding day, to allow you to relax and enjoy such a special occasion!